Oct 18, 2014
Obama takes 350,000 acres of California for the Federal Government
October 8, 2014
By Stephen Frank
Calling it a “monument’ allows Barack Obama to steal 350,000 acres of San Gabriel mountains for the Federal government—another bit of California owned and controlled by Washington, 3,000 miles away. They are claiming this is about “protection”, it is about theft. California or Los Angeles County can protect the wildlife—they have for decades. This is about the Feds taking over all parks and forests in the country, in the name of environmentalism (gone wild).
“The national monument designation will likely bring in more rangers to manage the territory, as well as improvements such as more parking areas, restrooms and signage. The mountains now suffer from crowding, trash, crime and wildfires.
Obama’s move is also expected to permanently protect the forests and rivers within the mountain range, which are home to rare and endangered species such as Nelson’s bighorn sheep, California condors and mountain lions.”
This forest is now a monument to the killing of the Constitution—nowhere does it say the Feds can steal State land. Obama has violated the Constitution in so many ways, this is just another.
Obama to Give Local Mountains Monument Status
By Hannah Miet,
LA Business Journal, 10/8/14
President Barack Obama plans to announce on Friday that he will designate roughly half of the San Gabriel Mountains as a national monument, bringing more federal protection to almost 350,000 acres of land in the Angeles National Forest.
The national monument designation will likely bring in more rangers to manage the territory, as well as improvements such as more parking areas, restrooms and signage. The mountains now suffer from crowding, trash, crime and wildfires.
Obama’s move is also expected to permanently protect the forests and rivers within the mountain range, which are home to rare and endangered species such as Nelson’s bighorn sheep, California condors and mountain lions.
The San Gabriel Mountains, which stretch from Santa Clarita to San Bernardino, provide Los Angeles County with one third of its water supply and 70 percent if its open space. More than 17 million people live within an hour of the range, making Angeles National Forest one of the nation’s busiest with more than 3.5 million annual visitors.
The designation will only apply to lands currently managed by the U.S. Forrest Service and will not affect outdoor recreation, private property or water rights.
Oct 18, 2014
PNP comment: Wow, way to go Southern Oregon University students. Stand up for your rights and the Contsitution! — Editor Liz Bowen
SOU students protest university’s free-speech zone
• By Teresa Thomas
Posted Oct. 16, 2014 @ 5:57 pm
Updated Oct 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Southern Oregon University’s “free speech zone” is being scrutinized after four SOU students earlier this month protested outside the zone and were told to move by school officials.
The students — one was identified as Stephanie Keaveney, the student government’s director of administration and finance, and another was Student Body President Promise Grace — were handing out copies of the Constitution and collecting signatures for a petition against SOU’s free speech zone.
According to SOU’s website, the free speech zone is located outside the Stevenson Union and is an area where “individuals and groups, whether they are affiliated with SOU or not, are free to express ideas … as long as that expression falls within legal limits and does not interfere with the SOU educational process.”
On Tuesday, Oct. 7, the students stationed themselves near McLoughlin Hall and the Greensprings Complex and, when asked by school officials to move to the free speech zone, refused.
The students later told a reporter with Campus Reform, a website that dubs itself a “watchdog to the nation’s higher education system,” that university officials threatened to call the police and threatened disciplinary action.
“I’m not going to speculate on what the students perceived was a threat,” said SOU spokesman Ryan Brown.
“There were four students handing out copies of the Constitution near the residence halls, and they were asked to relocate to the free speech zone, then did not relocate,” he said. “They were not prevented from continuing to hand out the Constitution, or disciplined in any way by the university. And they won’t be.”
Video clips of the interactions between the students and several school officials, including Family Housing & Madrone Area Coordinator Allyson Beck, Director of University Housing Tim Robitz and a campus public safety officer, were posted on the Campus Reform website.
See the video here:
The incident has been covered by Fox News and United Press International, in addition to other news organizations around the country.
“For one thing we are not here today as student government and for another, we don’t believe that campus policy can trump the Constitution and our constitutional rights, so no matter what the campus policy is, we think that, first and foremost, we are guaranteed constitutional rights and that’s why we are out here,” one female student is heard telling Robitz in the video, which has garnered nearly 92,000 views.
The student also could be heard telling Beck, “We are not going to move. Thank you for coming down here and talking to us and explaining the unconstitutional policies on campus, but we are not going to move.”
The female student declines to provide her name when Beck asks for it, but says that she and the other students were in the process of starting a group on campus called Students for Concealed Carry.
Calls to Keaveney Thursday afternoon were not immediately returned.
In the video, the students also are heard asking the safety officer what will happen if they don’t move to the free speech zone. The officer responds, “I will have to call Ashland Police Department, and it’s gonna get a little more complicated.”
Brown said Ashland police were not called.
Throughout the 18-minute video, officials ask the students repeatedly to move, and the students repeatedly explain their stance and remind the officials that it is a public university.
“So you guys are not willing to follow the policy that exists now?” Robitz asks them. “You are going to violate that policy to try to make a point?”
“Absolutely,” says a female student. “That’s how protests and things change America.”
“I don’t know if that’s necessarily accurate, but you are entitled to that opinion,” Robitz replies.
“The students (living in the residence halls) have the right to have the ability to come by here without you guys invading their space and asking them to do something,” he adds later in the video.
Brown said SOU administrators have reached out to the four students and other students on campus to see whether there is a way to revise or change practices “in a way that would better benefit the entire campus community.”
The policy instituting a free speech zone has been in place for more than a decade, Brown said.
Reach reporter Teresa Thomas at 541-776-4497 or email@example.com. Follow her at www.twitter.com/teresathomas_mt.
Oct 18, 2014
Modoc County record
Oct. 16, 2014
The Desert Rose Casino was re-opened and running, but the tribal conflict that resulted in its partial closure is still unresolved and both sides are claiming they are legally in the right.
On Friday, Modoc Superior Court Judge Fritz Barclay issued a temporary restraining order in favor of Alturas Rancheria Tribal Administrator Wayne Smith against Alturas Rancheria Tribal Co-Chair Darren Rose. That TRO orders Rose to stay away from the Desert Rose Casino and Tribal Offices. Those are Smith’s place of work. The TRO is in effect until a hearing in Modoc Superior Court Oct. 27, 10 a.m. when more evidence will be presented.
That TRO meant that Wendy Del Rosa resumed management of the Casino Tuesday, as the other co-chair of the Alturas Rancheria. Law enforcement here is using the April 2014 election results as its guide to who is empowered by the tribe, which recognizes Rose and Wendy Del Rosa as the business committee.
Tuesday night employees of the casino apparently staged an organized boycott and failed to show up for work. The Casino was closed early. They were expected and welcome to come to work, Wendy Del Rosa said. However, the Casino remained closed Wednesday and it was unclear whether it would be open today because of the work stoppage.
Oct 18, 2014
R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America
“Fighting for the U.S.Cattle Producer”
Billings, Mont. – In swift response to an Oct. 14, 2014 lobbying letter urging Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to abandon his plans to create a new beef checkoff program, R-CALF USA called foul.
The lobbying letter was signed by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) and 45 of its state affiliates, groups R-CALF USA claims are prohibited from lobbying because they receive funds, directly or indirectly, under the current 1985 national Beef Checkoff Program.
Yesterday, R-CALF USA sent a four-page letter to Vilsack alleging that NCBA and its affiliates are inappropriately, if not unlawfully, lobbying for their own self-interests by urging Vilsack to forego his plans for a new checkoff program and that their lobbying letter contains false and deceptive information.
To prove its point that the NCBA and its affiliates are recipients of checkoff funds, and that those funds are being used to lobby, R-CALF USA’s letter states that 82 percent of the NCBA’s revenues are derived from the national Beef Checkoff Program and the group’s CEO, who likely helped draft the lobbying letter, receives a large portion of his salary from the checkoff.
Regarding NCBA’s state affiliates, R-CALF USA points out that the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, a signatory to the lobbying letter, “is the state’s qualified beef council that directly receives beef checkoff funds.” In addition, according to R-CALF USA, several states represented on the lobbying letter are considered “two-hat” states because the NCBA affiliate and the state’s checkoff-recipient beef councils share the same physical address and executive employee.
While the 1985 national Beef Checkoff Program sets a five-percent cap on administrative costs, one-half of the approximately $80 million collected each year from cattle producers is retained by state beef councils and that retained money is not subject to the cap. R-CALF USA’s letter suggests an audit should be done to determine what amount of checkoff funds are now being used to pay administrative costs to the NCBA’s state affiliates under this loophole.
It is the exorbitant administrative costs the state beef councils pay to the NCBA state affiliates, which R-CALF USA claims are masked as rents, advertising, salaries and other administrative items, that create a violation of the law when the NCBA affiliates engage in lobbying.
R-CALF USA’s letter explains how this funneling of money from cattle producers to state beef councils and then to NCBA’s affiliates gives the state beef councils undue control over how the money that makes its way to the national Beef Checkoff Program is spent and gives the NCBA affiliates more financial resources and funding to lobby on behalf of the NCBA.
“The current national Beef Checkoff Program constitutes an impenetrable, quasi-governmental bureaucracy controlled by the NCBA,” states R-CALF USA’s letter.
R-CALF USA also takes issue with the lobbying letter’s assertion that the Office of General Counsel (OIG) had concluded that the NCBA, the principal contractor of the program, is in compliance with the law. “That claim is blatantly false,” wrote R-CALF USA stating that the OIG not only made no such finding, but also, the OIG determined the program lacked adequate oversight by the Secretary and that the auditors could not conclude that checkoff funds were being properly collected, distributed, and expended in accordance with the law.
R-CALF USA’s letter states that the U.S. Supreme Court had determined that the national Beef Checkoff Program is a program that disseminates government speech paid for by mandatory assessments (i.e., taxes) imposed on cattle producers and cattle and beef importers.
“Producers deserve to know that the assessments they are required to pay under this government program are being used effectively and in accordance with the Act and Order. The OIG report reveals that producers have no such assurance,” The group wrote.
In their lobbying letter, the NCBA and its affiliates claim the current beef checkoff provides a substantial return per producer-dollar invested. But R-CALF USA claims that return actually demonstrates the beef checkoff program is less effective and less efficient than the pork checkoff program. A recent study by Cornell University found the pork checkoff program returned $17.40 per dollar invested by U.S. pork producers, “which is a full $6.20 more per dollar invested than the beef checkoff study concludes is returned to cattle producers.” R-CALF USA wrote.
R-CALF USA’s letter concludes: “Mr. Secretary, without the reforms previously recommended by R-CALF USA and the 35 other organizations that wrote you on September 11, 2014, the current national Beef Checkoff Program will continue to finance the growth of NCBA’s sprawling empire that is being built on the backs of hard-working, independent U.S. cattle producers. It is the government-mandated assessments that have not, as the OIG confirms, been subjected to adequate control or oversight that first created this deplorable circumstance and is now sustaining it.
“We respectfully request that you conduct an investigation into our concerns that the NCBA and its affiliates have violated both the spirit and intent of the 1985 Act and Order and that the NCBA and its affiliates have attempted to mislead and deceive you, the public and members of Congress by distributing their deceptive letter to the media for widespread distribution. If you are able to validate our concerns, we ask that you take the decisive action we and others recommended to you on September 11.”
# # #
R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) is the largest producer-only cattle trade association in the United States. It is a national, nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.
Oct 16, 2014
Buck Hunters’ Dinner and Dance
Friday, November 7, 2014
Dinner 6 pm
Dance 8:30 pm, “Sundown Poachers”
If you are a buck hunter or you just want to enjoy good food and good dance music, be sure to attend the Mt Bolivar Grange’s Buck Hunters’ dinner and dance in Callahan on Friday, November 7th.
Dinner is at 6 pm; includes sampling of venison stew contest entries and other stews by Grange members, salad and apple pie, all for $5 per person, $3 for child, $12 per family.
The horn measuring is at 8 p.m.
The dance with music by the famous band, Sundown Poachers, begins at 8:30 and ends at 11:30. Families are encouraged to attend the dance.
The sign-up for the horn contest is closed, but the venison stew or chili contest sign-up is still open right up to that evening for a $5 entry. Sign ups are at Etna Hardware, Fort Jones Lumber, and Callahan Emporium. The stews/chilis will be judged by a panel. Winner takes all.
Hope you can come join the fun!
Mt Bolivar Grange Master
Oct 16, 2014
Yreka, CA – The Klamath National Forest is inviting public comments for the preparation of the Westside Fire Recovery project. Planning information is available at http://1.usa.gov/1t57p2q.
The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the project will propose to reduce safety hazards, obtain the maximum economic value from burned timber, and increase the likelihood and speed of reforestation on about 63,883 acres burned with high severity in the Beaver, Whites and Happy Camp Complex fires from this summer.
The planned project area includes 162,264 acres of National Forest lands on the west side of the Forest. Watersheds affected include Beaver Creek, Horse Creek, Humbug Creek, Elk Creek, Indian Creek, Lower Scott River, Seiad Creek, Thompson Creek, Ukonom Creek, Klamath River, French Creek, Scott River, and North and South Fork Salmon Rivers.
The official 30-day scoping comment period is Oct. 15, 2014-Nov. 14, 2014.
Comments on the proposed action should be submitted within 30 days of the date of publication in the Federal Register of the Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement, dated November 15, 2014.
There will be other points in the planning process when comments will be requested. It is also anticpated that public information meetings will held at various points. The Forest Service seeks information, comments and assistance from federal, state and local agencies and individuals or organizations interested in or affected by the proposed action.
Send comments to: Patricia A. Grantham, Forest Supervisor, Klamath National Forest, 1711 South Main Street, Yreka, CA 96097, ATTN: Westside Fire Recovery Team Leader, or fax to 530-841-4571. Submit electronic comments at the Klamath National Forest’s project webpage: http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/fs-usda-pop.php/?project=45579 by selecting the “Comment on Project” link in the “Get Connected” group at the right hand side of the project webpage.
For further information contact: Wendy Coats, Klamath National Forest, Yreka, CA 96097. Phone: 530-841-4470. Individuals who use telecommunication devices for the deaf (TDD) may call the Federal Information Relay Service (FIRS) at 1-800-877-8339 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.
Additional Project Purpose Information
1. This project will reduce safety hazards to Forest users, adjacent landowners and Forest workers from falling trees and hazardous fuels conditions.
o It is important safety is maintained and hazardous fuels conditions reduced where they exist within the Wildland Urban Interface, especially within one-quarter mile of private property in burned areas or within areas where fire suppression-related activity occurred.
o Infrastructure, especially utility lines, roads, trailheads, campgrounds, fire lookouts and bridges need to be maintained for use by the public and Forest workers.
2. The project will seek to obtain the maximum economic value from burned timber by offering a sale while the wood is still marketable.
o Capturing the marketability of the timber provides the agency a viable means of meeting forest management needs, since the timber sale can be used to fund restoration. Selling the timber while it still has value also increases the amount of area that can be treated using currently available funding.
3. Ecosystem sustainability is promoted by increasing the likelihood and speed burned, previously forested areas are restored.
o Although wildfires have some benefits (e.g., snag and downed wood creation), intensely burned forested areas may be slow to recover and heavy fuel loading will result from fallen snags predisposing an area to higher intensity and higher severity wildfires in the future.
o Planting conifer seedlings will better ensure a burned area will return to a forested condition as soon as possible.
4. The proposed action will treat a total of about 63,883 acres of National Forest System lands within the 214,848-acre project boundary with:
o 10,600 acres of salvage harvest,
o 21,872 acres of roadside hazard treatment,
o 11,411 acres of hazardous fuels treatment and
o 20,000 acres of site preparation, planting and vegetation release.
(Note: Acres do not account for the overlap in treatment types. Treatment acreages are approximate at this point and will be adjusted and refined following the comment period.)